At the Monday, October 22nd meeting, Officer Joe Nemchock of the Glen Ellyn Police Department spoke about the DARE program targeted to All D41 5th-grade students. In 2003, the program evolved to its current focus on responsible decision-making (Define Assess Respond Evaluate). Officer Joe meets weekly for an hour with 5th-grade classes over a period of eight weeks. Topics include: Tobacco/Alcohol/Cannabis, Risk & Consequences, Peer Pressure, Stress, Communication, Bullying & Internet Safety, and Helping Others. This year the program will also cover Cyber Safety and Vaping.
School Board Member, Bob Bruno, celebrated the Blue Ribbon Affiliate award earned by the district’s Parents-as-Teachers program. He shared that at the next school board meeting, the board will discuss a draft budget for the next school year, take action on the Capital Expense and Technology budgets, discuss administering the AAPL test to current 8th graders, and consider three resolutions regarding arming staff in schools that will be voted upon at the III Conference (Bruno recommends voting against arming staff, but the board must discuss).
Dr. Gordon encourages all parents to attend the Safety Session on Monday, October 29 at 7 PM in the Hadley LMC. In partnership with the Glen Ellyn Police Department, D41 will discuss the latest strategies and practices in school safety. This represents an important shift from the traditional lockdown practices. Please attend to hear this information first hand and have your questions answered.
Marci Conlin shared the work of the wellness committee, which would like to extend Wellness Wednesdays from staff to the students as well. The District would like to work in partnership with the PTAs to incorporate students in wellness-for-a-cause activities. Council members also discussed the PTA Council scholarship, which is $2650 offered to a D41 alumni pursuing an education degree. School PTAs will discuss if they want to also support a $500 scholarship for an alumni of their school, as Churchill has done in the past.
At the next Council meeting, members will welcome the School Nurse who will discuss High-Interest Day and food.
Please consider attending…
- Thu, Oct 18 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm, Dr. Ferney Ramirez, Estrategias para estudiantes exitosos/Strategies for Successful Students View Details
- Monday, Oct 29 @ 7PM, Safety Session at Hadley
- Monday, Nov 5 @ 7pm – Next School Board Meeting
- Sunday Nov 11, 4-7PM at Fox Bowl – Dine Out fundraiser for Forest Glen
- Tue, Nov 13 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, Dana Suskind, M.D. , Thirty Million Words: Building a Child’s Brain, View Details
- Wed, Nov 14, Dr. William Stixrud and Ned Johnson – Noon and 7pm, The Self Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives, View Details
- Thu, Nov 15 @ 6:00 pm – 7:25 pm, Dr. Lourdes Ferrer, En la Silla del Conductor: Una Academia de Liderazgo para Padres Hispanos/Grooming for Excellence Academy, View Details
- Wed, Dec 5 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, Dr. Peter Hall, Self-Care to Foster Resilience in Yourself and Others, View Details